our family

our family

Monday, December 12, 2011

Who is Teaching YOUR Kiddos


As I was getting Levi ready for bed I began to watch him. He has learned so much in just the past few weeks. He is no longer a baby. He is now picking out his own clothes, knows what shoes he wantes to wear, going to the potty by himself, brushing his teeth without momma reminding him, and the list goes on. (of course his clothes are not what I would have chosen)


Today after lunch we sat down and read a little story about BOZ. At the end of the book there is a rainbow. The line that went with the page read ' God put a rainbow high above, a bright reminder of God's love.' I asked him if he knew what a rainbow stood for. You will never guess what he said... again it was yes. I told him about Noah and the big boat called an ark. He was very energetic and loved that the waters were so high that they went over the houses and the trees. I explained to him that when we see a rainbow in the sky that it is a reminder that God will never flood the earth like that again.


Later I asked him if he could tell his daddy what we talked about and of course he did!



Tonight I sat down next to his little bed and opened up his Bible and we began to read about how Jesus came as a baby. I asked him if he knew why Jesus came as a baby. He always says, yes. He is his momma's son. We think we know it all! I preceded to explain to him that Jesus came because He and I were sinners. I told him that sinners do bad things, such as disobey parents, lie, hit, ect... (a few of the things we have been dealing with) I asked him if he knew that those were bad things and he said yes. I told him that Jesus came as a baby to die for our sins. That was the reason we celebrate CHRISTmas. He was amazed at the little Bibles pictures of Mary on her 'horse' and Joseph talking to the inn keeper. He loved the picture of the cat looking over in the manger at the baby. He asked whats that cat doing? I told him that the cat was amazed that she got to wittness the birth of the KING and that she was worshipping him! He loved it!



Tonight as I am sitting here getting ready to lay myself down I reflect on the day with Levi. I am so amazed at how quick he learns the things that his daddy and myself teach him. What scares me are the things that he is learning when he is around others. What are they teaching my little boy? I think as parents we have been given the greatest gift and responsibility that has ever been given to mankind. We are sharpening our little arrows to let loose in the world. What kind of arrow are you going to be releasing when it is time for yours to be released? I have to remind myself daily that we(Joseph and I) are equipping missionaries to send far into the future we will never see. If I do by job well then my children will teach their children and their children will teach their children.... Every parent is leading a legacy for their children to follow in. What is yours?





As I leave you this evening I want to leave you with these verses from Deutornomy 6:4-9





"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.

No comments:

Post a Comment