our family

our family

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Who We Were, Are, and Hope to Be

Hello,
let me introduce you to myself and my family. Let me start by telling you where Joseph and I(Courtney) came from. We met in a small home school group in a little town called Bridgeport, Al . I had just turned 12 years old, Joseph was 16. Joseph and I became best friends. We would do everything together. We were already 'courting' before we were 'courting, if that makes any sense at all. I knew that he was the one that God had for me before he ever asked me what I thought about us. Joseph left for UNA after graduating high school. We had a long distance relationship for 2 years. I saw him only a hand full of times through the school year and he would come home for the summer. We would try to spend lots of time together then. God was amazing through this time. He kept Joseph and me untainted for each other. We had our rough spots during this time, but we knew that God had put us together and He would keep us together. Joseph announced his call to preach the gospel while he was at UNA. Again, I knew that this would be the road for us before he ever mentioned it to me. It is funny how when God is up to something he lines everything up just right. We were married on January 25, 2003 in a small church in TN. In this church Joseph was the Youth Pastor, Song Leader/Choir Director,we together were the VBS Directors. I stood along beside him in his leadership positions and played the piano. We learned and grew a lot in this little church. After sometime there, it was evident that God was calling us back to Bridgeport. We attended First Baptist Church, where Joseph held a hand full of responsibilities. While at FBC we were expecting our first child. We were so excited, we had wanted children from the time we were married. I had been to a couple of doctors appointments and everything seemed to be fine. The day that we were to have our first ultra sound I woke up feeling as something was not right. I told Joseph that I was physically fine I just felt uneasy about the day. When we were there the Doctor told us that things were not right and that we would lose this baby. I was 10 weeks and the baby had stopped growing at 7 weeks. We were devastated. How could God take a baby that he had promised to us? How could he take a baby from a healthy pregnancy? Those were the thoughts running through my mind that day. Looking back I now see the big picture. There was nothing that anyone could do to comfort me, not even my beloved husband. Though he was an amazing man through all of it, he could not fill the void that was there. My Father was calling me to a deeper relationship with Him. I remember the day that I just gave in to the pain. I laid in the floor of my living room and sobbed. I had wrapped myself in a blanket and was clenching it with my fist asking God why. I remember the sweet peace that overcame me that day. We became Jackson County Foster Parents a few months later. I know that if it were not for the miscarriage then we would have never fostered. We have fostered 17 children to date. How awesome is that. I did not know at the time that God was calling us to be parents to 17 children! I have had a love for each of them that is different than anything I have ever felt. Each one of them different in their own way. After being at Bridgeport First Baptist for 5 years, God has called us to Huntsville, Al where Joseph is Senior Pastor at Brownsboro Baptist Church and I am a full time mother, part time photographer. We have been here for 2 years and love it! God has richly blessed us in our church family. In the past 2 years God has given us a second child of our own, a son, Levi Riddoc, who is now 18 months old. We are still fostering through Jackson County and have a beautiful 16 year old daughter. She might not share our last name but she definitely shares our hearts.We are looking forward to what God has for us in the future. What other children he might bless us with. None of this has been an easy task, but our Father is faithful.
I hope that this tells you a little about who we are. One day I might elaborate on each stopping point in our journey, but for now I feel as though this is sufficient.
May God richly bless you in your faith journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment